Tuesday, May 9 | Concurrent Breakout Session | 10:30am-11:30am
MEDICAL MEETING TREND
- Global expenditures on healthcare is expected to grow to 9.5 trillion by 2018
- There will be 1 million medical meetings within the U.S. alone in 2017
- There are currently 10,000 known diseases in the U.S. There is treatment and cures for only 500. What is government doing to promote more drug and device development? How will this impact the medical meeting industry?
- There were over 98,000 medical meetings held in restaurants in the U.S. in 2016.
- Politics are having a major impact on healthcare compliance and reporting.
- More and more hotels are saying “no” to medical meeting business.
- Travel bans may affect attendance at your meetings.
Are you and your company geared for the growth?
This interactive session will discuss trends and challenges of medical meetings including:
- Too much business
- Not enough trained medical meeting planners
- Destination and property perception
- Tight lead times
- Getting new business and maintaining strong relationships
- How to keep up
Pat Schaumann, CMP, CSEP, DMCP, HMCC, is the Senior Director of Healthcare Compliance at Maritz Travel. She is the author of “Breaking the Code to Healthcare Compliance”, “MPI CMP-HC Training Manual” and “The Successful Guide to Destination Management”.
Pat founded the Healthcare Meeting Compliance Certificate (HMCC) program with Saint Louis University and MPI. There are currently over 1,000 HMCC’s representing 16 countries
She was most recently recognized as the Top 25 People in the Meeting Industry, Top 25 Women in the Meetings Industry, and the Top Trendsetters in the Meeting Industry. Pat was also named as One of the Most Influential Women in Business by the St. Louis Business Journal.